Wednesday, November 5, 2014

My Marijuana Chronicles (the concluding part)

After missing my marijuana treatment for 1 week, I had a seizure. That was probably what I needed to convince myself that the treatment was working. My greatest fear was my baby. I was terrified that something might happen to him. Hours later, at the hospital with my mother-in-law clutching my hand, the doctors said the baby was doing just fine. Lesson learned!

Many times through the pregnancy I wanted to tell my doctors I was taking marijuana. The reason I didn't was because I knew that would be their go-to reason for everything that happened to me that period. I suffered incessant vomiting and pains and iron depletion in pregnancy. But you know what, I would take all those things and more in exchange for seizures. For some weird reason, marijuana does nothing else for me. Doesn't give me a high, doesn't work as a pain killer or treatment for nausea and vomiting. These are all things users swear it does. Not me.

In a few days, it will be 1 year since I had a seizure. There are those nights, lying in bed just before I shut my eyes, when I whisper a prayer of thanks. For many years, my last thought before I slept was always, "God please not tonight". I no longer sit up in bed afraid to shut my eyes because the intensity of the auras I felt were an indication of a looming seizure. Awake, I would remind myself that sleep deprivation would only make it worse. I no longer wake up with that sick feeling in my belly. The feeling that something had happened. I no longer wake up to that question, "Do you know what happened?' There are no mid-sentence interruptions due to absences. The list is endless.

By September next year, all things being equal, I should have an MRI. Fingers crossed. Hopefully the readings will be different. Positive. Hopefully, it will be a few months till I can be medically certified seizure free. Hopefully, my son will never have to worry about his mama. And my husband will never have to wake up to watch me have another seizure. Hopefully, my parents will never again be saddened by the news of my seizures.

Well, that's that. I just bought a bong. One word of advice to marijuana users. Vapor over smoke! I hope sometime soon, marijuana is legalized  and more doctors open their hearts to the endless possibilities in that herb.


3 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your story. Marijuana used in medical treatments truly has opened avenues for people like you. By sharing your story, people might realize the positive effects of the use of marijuana for people with similar conditions such as yours. Once they do, they'd be more easily persuaded to legalize its use. Good luck!

    Brad Benson @ Canna MedBox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully, some day soon marijuana will be legalized so that more studies can be carried out. I believe marijuana is under utilized.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete