Monday, April 20, 2015

Becoming the monster mom!

Before I had my son, I thought many moms were crazy, deluded and obsessed with their kids. I thought moms who never saw any wrong in their kids, who cheered their kids on regardless, who kissed their kids every 5 minutes, were all crazy. I thought the moms whose kids ran around like maniacs in the grocery store were irresponsible. I thought moms who gave their kids pureed jars were lazy. I thought moms whose homes were untidy, littered with toys and cardboard boxes, laundry basket full and spilling over with unfolded laundry, were disorganized. I thought moms who ordered Chinese take-out cos they didn't have time to cook were women with poor time management skills. For these ignorant and judgemental remarks, I ask your forgiveness. These moms are heroes. They are the moms who focus their time and energy to shower love on their kids. They are the moms who realize that nothing else is more important than their little ones. They are the moms who love their kids regardless of what they do (or don't do) and who they are. They are the moms who will kill anyone who messes with their child. This is the mom I am slowly but surely becoming.

All I did last weekend was go out to Stanley Park for a day with my husband and son. LX wore his fancy boots and ran around the grass. He had a lick from my ice cream and went wild! Screaming and laughing. It was priceless! I was in the zone and I loved it. Sunday morning, I woke up sore and tired. My hubby had an appointment and left home at 10am. It was just me and LX and we had a wonderful morning/afternoon. I managed to get two loads of laundry done. Folded some, left some, I refused to worry about household chores. I chose to cherish the moment and enjoy LX's giggles and hugs and kisses. That was/is all that truly matters.

My momzilla moment came when my nanny said to me that LX wouldn't play with kids at Strong Start and just wanted to be held. My son is not that kid. He is social and friendly and playful. To hear someone else tell me something contrary sparked something inside me. I took deep breaths and just said, "Maybe he was having a bad day". In my head, I was thinking, "How dare you tell me what my son is like? How dare you say such things about my son? My son is awesome and if you don't see it, it's cos you don't know what awesome looks like!" I find that I get ticked when I comment on something LX does and she says, "Oh he does it all the time with me.". Bitch please! The only reason I have not gone all black girl crazy on her ass is because she still watches LX. I don't want her taking it out on my son. She is great, but she needs to learn what not to say to a working mom.

Anyway, I laugh at myself when these monster mom traits surface. I am unapologetic for the mom that I am and the mom I will be. I love my son fiercely and will annihilate anyone that does or says anything negative to/about him. I will rise to his defence any day and I will be his greatest cheerleader. I will shower him with love. A lady at Carlton Cards said to me the other day, "Love your child with all your heart. Hold him however many times you want. People will tell you that you're spoiling him, tell them, there's nothing like too much love". I am not a textbook/ internet mom. I parent with my heart and my instincts. I am a monster mom and I am proud of that. Deal with it!

No comments:

Post a Comment