Friday, June 14, 2013

Loneliness vs Aloneness

Every so often, especially in recent times, I have been forced to ponder these two concepts. Does being lonely necessarily mean that one is alone? Does being alone mean that one is lonely? No! Countless times, I am alone and at peace. My thoughts keeping me good company, and my company being a suitable companion at the time. Other times, I am surrounded by my sisters, my larger than life nieces and nephew, there’s so much noise and activity and yet, my mind wanders. I want more. I want a different kind of companionship that these people I love cannot give me. I want to love a different kind of love. Yeah, you guessed right. I am single.

I thought loneliness was a luxury only single women enjoyed, but apparently that is not the case. I have two very wonderful friends who I’ll call Sandra and Frank. They've been married for 8 years and seem to have what everyone thinks is a wonderful marriage – kids, nice house, good friends, a garden *rolls eyes*. You know what I mean! Well, Frank asks me to go for drinks with him one day after work and that is how I find out that what I thought was utopia is a cold war zone. 

For years, there has been zilch sex, countless fights and a complete absence of basic marital camaraderie to say the least. Wow! I’m being careful. I have to take in this information in bits. Now, I am a suspicious Igbo girl and a project manager. I always want to know why. Why is he telling me? Answer: He feels I’m easy to talk to. Why is he still in the marriage if he is obviously unhappy? Answer: Because of the kids. Why doesn't he speak to her? Answer: He has tried and it always ends up with a fight. What does he intend to do about it? Answer: Endure till he can’t anymore. 

Well, there we go. I go to bed alone every night and my heart breaks because I want someone to hold me when I have a nightmare and there is no one there. And here is Frank, sleeping beside someone night after night and still overcome by a feeling of loneliness.


… I wrote this 2 years ago and that day, I vowed I would rather be single and happy, than married and unhappy. Well 2 years down the line, I am married, happy and I have moments when I am alone. Being alone is not a bad thing. Being lonely? That’s another story. Perhaps, some other day we will bring up Sandra and Frank again. Believe it or not, they are still together patching it!

No comments:

Post a Comment